Saturday, October 17, 2009

If Only




This is a famous Arabic song called Alawa (علواة) which my Syrian driver used to play almost daily in the car. Typically mid-eastern, very ethnic and kampung but with a catchy tune. According to Firaz, it was sung by a famous singer by the name of Melhem Zain (ملحم زين). Never knew the meaning of the song until today when out of boredom I searched the net for it.

Melhem Zein - If Only
If only, if only my lover would come back to me
He is my life and every wish
Why good is a heart that has no lover within it
It's like a stone sitting on the ground
If only we could go back the way we were
If only I could visit you and you could come visit us
Your dad would greet me and your mother would pamper me
Please put my heart out, my pain is burning (literally, melting) me

My hands miss your hands so much
And my eyes long for your eyes
I'm melting in my clothes and I'm a wreck
Pull me out of my misery and make me happy
Oh if only...

What were you coming to take from me?
Telling me how much you me so and that you're burning up
What changed you?
Your beauty took your mind
I never cross your mind and I can't get you out of mine

That was the English translation I found on the web.

No comments: