Saturday, June 19, 2010

MRT Plan for KL

I note with excitation and reservations over the proposed RM30b MRT system for KL. It's high time KL has a proper rail network. But knowing Malaysia, I am not convinced until I actually see the trains running! I still remember, when I was in primary 1, my teacher showed us a picture of a monorail running smack in front of Sultan Abdul Samad Building in KL. That was actually an artist image of a proposed rail system for KL. That was in 1986. KL didn't have its rail line running until the late 90's when the STAR LRT came about. So, you see, it takes 10 years to turn a proposal into reality in Malaysia.

Not too long ago, the PM announced the LRT extensions. I wonder what came out of it? Are the tenders already out? When will work start? When will the trains run? That was only a RM7b project. Now a RM30b project is up for grabs. The idea of a wider rail network is actually not something new. Back in 2007, someone proposed a more extensive rail network:

The proposal looks quite similar to what is being bandied about now. Lets see what comes out of it in the end.

No comments: