Sunday, April 15, 2007

Camel Hoax?

The biggest hoax in UAE!
Do you know that the camels in UAE aren't really camels? They are actually called dromedaries because they have only 1 hump. A camel has 2 humps! But to make things simpler, we simply call them "camels" as well... since it's much easier and they do look alike except for the humps.

Vital Information (Courtesy of a VT page)

  • I have a single hump, which is a flesh mound not supported by bones. Everyone thinks I store water, but I actually store fat.
  • I have long legs ending in 2 toes beneath which is a broad, callous & elastic pad, making it easy for me to navigate in deep sand.
  • My lips are thickened to withstand the coarsest of desert plants. My diet in captivity includes hay & grains.
  • Race camels are fed dates, alpha alpha sprouts, fresh greens, barley & their diet is supplemented with vitamin & mineral supplements.
  • My eyes are heavily lashed for protection in sand storms & a 3rd eyelid acts as a windshield wiper, moving from side to side. A broad ridge of bone above my eyes serves as a sun visor.
  • My nostrils are slit-like & can close to keep the sand from getting in.
  • My coloration is fawn or beige & matches the environment.
  • I have calluses on my knees & chest for sitting down on the hot sand.
  • I can tolerate a rise in body temperature of 12 degrees!
  • I am even able to drink salt water if I have too! Most animals perish when 20% of their body weight is lost, but I can survive a 40% loss of body weight.I can drink between 60-100 litres of water in a space of 15 minutes. On average I need only to be watered every 3-4 days. With this system, I can live up to 3 weeks without water, whilst loosing 33% of my weight. Under the same severe circumstances, a human being would loose 8% of his weight, but die within 36 hours...

1 comment:

::sklc:: said...

Kiam should read this! That day at the Australia Zoo, I told him it was impossible that the camel had only one hump... I'd always been taught to draw them with two humps... Now, he'll believe me. Hahahaha!