Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Cis, bedebah!

I remembered the Malay phrase 'Cis, bedebah!' from some Malay text books during schooling years. I suddenly thought of it today as I connected that phrase to a crane contractor in UAE known as CIS.

When I first started off as an engineer, and had to deal with contractors I tend to rely on them for 'expert' advice and in many ways trusted them to provide their best services. I had known many contractors who had done remarkable high-quality jobs. Generally, I have always maintained a cordial relationship with them as we never know when they will be my client in the future. After all, the engineering world is not really that big. As such, I've tried being accommodating and understanding at all times. I believe I still am most of the time and I hope that my contractors had a nice working relationship with me. Although I admit, as times pass by, I am no longer such a 'young ciku' who would just take anything that comes to me as it is.

There are limits to my patience and as some may have seen I am not a pleasant man when I am angry! This was exactly what I felt today with CIS. If I had my way, I'll make sure this company is blacklisted from all Siemens project here. I've not vented my anger verbally and in written for quite some time and today I did not hold back at all. Sometimes, the only way to deal with unprofessional, unreliable, untrustworthy and just plain stupid people is to be bloody nasty. I am seldom like this even when dealing with adverse situation - I believe hardly anyone who had worked with me had seen me angry at work. Most of the times, being nasty does not help to solve the problem. But it sure is a good 'pressure relief valve' and it also makes known that I mean business. It's just too bad that CIS bedebah had to get it from me today!

No comments: