Sunday, March 11, 2007

Almost a sandstorm

It's almost a sandstorm here today. Very strong winds blowing sand everywhere. I just checked that the windspeed is now 40km/h. Cycling is a tiring task (if at all possible) and even walking down the street is difficult. Sand in your shirt, nose, ears, eyes, everywhere! If you walk outside you feel the tiny sand particles hitting your face and arm. I'm sure by the end of the day when I remove my shoes, I'll find sand there too. Even with my windows tightly shut, still some sand find their way into my office. And someone told me this is still not the real sandstorm yet!... Gosh, what will a real sandstorm be like? Well, such strong winds blowing sand is usually a sign of changing weather. My guess is it'll get pretty hot in the next few days unless it rains. But rain is not a luxury that this place has much of. The so-called rain here is more like a drizzle in Malaysia. It is short-lived but it does make the weather feels cool and nice. And it clears the sand.

Anyway, yesterday was quite interesting. There's a new guy at camp and I found out he's a Singaporean which is great.. finally found someone here who speaks the same slang, who shares similar topics! We were both delighted to meet one another - it's good to meet a fellow Malaysian/ Singaporean when you are overseas. At least there's someone to keep company during those long and boring after-work hours. But he's lucky, he only needs to be here for 2 weeks! Nevertheless, at least a fellow friend from a neighboring country. For that, we'll put aside all those differences about scenic bridges or land reclamation.... Let the politicians have fun with those!

No comments: