Friday, March 9, 2007

Home Truly...

My country of origin has been a source of much curiousity here. Many have thought I was a Korean. One guy even proudly introduced me as the engineer from Korea. My wandering around the plant has also stopped an engineer to turn back and ask me, "Are you from Japan?". My Iraqi colleague was wondering whether I was sent from the China office for this project. While there was also a huge number of people who thought I was a Filipino. So far there was one who thought I was Indonesian. So you see it was interesting that I have assumed so much nationalities in the past few weeks. However, I never hesitate to pronounce that I hail from Malaysia. It makes me feel proud when this was received somewhat with admiration. It seems that many people have good impressions of Malaysia. Responses were very heart-warming:
"Ah... Malaysia, Truly Asia"
"I see you are from Malaysia... that's a beautiful country - green, friendly people"
"Yes... Malaysia.... That's where Petronas Twin Towers are"
"So you are from Malaysia? That's a wonderful country with plenty of opportunity and wealth"

Such responses demonstrate the good standing of Malaysia in the eyes of the world. We are no longer an obscure country north of Singapore. We are known far and wide as a wonderful country with friendly people. It also makes me realize how lucky I was to be born and brought up in a wonderful nation. And being away from Malaysia made me realize how much I miss it and wish to be home. Home truly, Malaysia is where the heart belongs!

No comments: