Monday, May 21, 2007

Meeting the TNB of Abu Dhabi

Had the opportunity to deal with the TNB of Abu Dhabi – TRANSCO(ترانسكو). Actually this is the company responsible for the transmission network system. I had a small punch list to clear in the 400/220kV substation which comes under their jurisdiction. As for most government-linked company, I had expected lots of red tape from such an organization. An indeed there were lots of procedures and enquiries for a small job. The job itself was not so smooth because my manager made a mistake and sent a 2” valve to be installed on a 1” line! Trying to present me with a puzzle! He thought the control circuit for this valve is there but actually the valve figured nowhere within the original design and I had to design the control! Somehow by hook or crook I managed to install it and commission the valve. Surprisingly, TRANSCO was very helpful and accommodating and I got the job done!

The TRANSCO engineer is a very talkative guy who could pluck a topic from the sky and discuss it at length. And they have an eccentric behavior of keeping all the lights off in the substation leaving the entire building in total darkness. Another weird thing is he likes to ask 'How do you do?' after an hour of meeting me. Funny....But nevertheless, I enjoyed working with him and I had the opportunity to take a peek at a 400kV substation! The picture is that of that bloody valve I had to install by hook or crook – a valve that nobody wants and is now not in service anyway but is required by contract!

Now that this is done, I only have 1 more punch item to complete and the plant is ready for final completion! Hooray!

No comments: