Sunday, May 20, 2007

Past vs Present

I have always been fascinated by old photos (especially B&W ones). Especially so, when I compare the past with the present. In fact, history was my favorite subject in school although I'm bored with the overemphasis on Malaysian history - it would have been more interesting if they had included more of world history. After all how much is there to bother about - 11 years of history classes on the short history of Malaysia ends up being dead boring! Anyway, I've stumbled across some pictures of Dubai -old vs new. Just amazing to see how much that city has changed over the years. I've seen these pictures too when I visited the Dubai Museum and Sheikh Saeed al-Maktoum House. Simply incredible how Dubai has grown to become what it is today.
View around Dubai Creek in 1950 - I can even see Al-Fahidi Fort which is now Dubai Museum!
Dubai Creek area in 2004 - Bur Dubai side has grown incredibly!

Sheikh Zayed Road in 1980's - still very much desert land.

Sheikh Zayed Road in 2005 (Now it's even more vibrant with massive construction going on around Burj Dubai, Jumeirah & Jebel Ali areas!)

1 comment:

::sklc:: said...

wow i like the contrast between the 80s and present day... well kogan creek looks like dubai in the 80s... ahaha... so there is hope perhaps!